Glistening lights. Holiday music. And a collection of more than a month full of events and activities for you, your family and friends to enjoy throughout Downtown Springfield and beyond.
This year’s annual Holiday in the City
celebration kicks of with the Grand Illumination
celebration – during which Santa arrives and the tree on the Esplanade between COhatch
and the Courtyard by Marriott
is lit – starts at 6 p.m., Friday, Nov. 25.
“The reason why Holiday in the City is such an important event for the community is that it gets everyone Downtown and around Springfield to celebrate the holidays with all these events they might not have even known existed in our town,” says Ashten Housman, downtown events programmer for The Greater Springfield Partnership
Also kicking off on Nov. 25 is the opening of the outdoor ice rink sponsored by Speedway on City Hall Plaza. The ice rink will be open Thursdays from 5 to 8 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays from 5 to 9 p.m. and Sundays from 5 to 8 p.m. through Jan. 1.
Guests Downtown during the Grand Illumination can also enjoy a special guest skater and live music at The Market Bar
Also that night, Houseman says many local businesses and restaurants will be open late to join in the celebration.
The fun continues Saturday, Nov. 26, with Small Business Saturday shopping and an ugly Christmas sweater karaoke event at The Market Bar from 7 to 9 p.m.
“It all comes back to supporting local, eating local, shopping local, living local, and being proud of our community,” Houseman says. “Holiday in the City gets everyone into the spirit of the holiday.”
Just a few of the many other events throughout the five-week-long celebration include:
- Holiday in the Market at COhatch, Saturdays, Nov. 16, and Dec. 3, 10 and 17, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Mother’s Holiday Market at Mother Stewart’s Brewery, Saturdays, Nov. 16, and Dec. 3, 10 and 17, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- DJ Chill’s Silent Disco at the ice rink, Thursday, Dec. 1, from 5 to 9 p.m.
- First Friday: Home for the Holidays, including live music by Jacob & Harmony, and special photo op locations throughout Downtown, Friday, Dec. 2, from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Holiday at the Hatch at Hatch Artist Studios, including unique gift shopping opportunities from the more than 32 artists in the building, Dec. 2, from 5 to 9 p.m., and Dec. 3, 4, 10, and 17, from noon to 4 p.m.
- Mrs. Claus Coffee Crawl through Downtown Springfield, Saturday, Dec. 3, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Holiday Open House at the Shoppes of Downtown Springfield, Sunday, Dec. 4, from noon to 4 p.m.
- SantaCon at Mother Stewart’s Brewery, Saturday, Dec. 10, from 4 to 10 p.m.
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra presents Home Alone in concert at the Clark State Performing Arts Center, Saturday, Dec. 10, at 7 p.m.
- Ice skating with Santa at the NTPRD Chiller indoor ice rink, Dec. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Santa Fly-In at the Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport, Sunday, Dec. 18, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Holiday in the City also includes a variety of Santa and Grinch appearances, carriage rides, holiday concerts, incredible performances, arts and crafts events, and much more.
“Holiday in the City offers a full calendar of things to do, get people moving and out of the house to explore their city,” Houseman says. “It’s really exciting to see the joy of people planning to see the lights, take a carriage ride, go to the skating rink, and really look forward to enjoying their Downtown.”
The lights and holiday sounds will full Downtown throughout the season, and holiday carolers will also perform on the Esplanade at scheduled times. For the most up-to-date details about Holiday in the City events, visit the HITC Facebook event
“Springfield is springing forward in the fastest, most beautiful way I could ever imagin. We’re a force to be reckoned with,” Houseman says. “There’s no way anyone could look at the calendar and say there’s nothing to do in Springfield.
“We should be proud of the leaps and bounds we have made and are making to build our city into a destination.”
Enjoy this story? Sign up
for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.